We take the privacy and data of our users very seriously. We only collect information we need to run the Pets Reunited service. This policy sets out how we will treat your personal information.
Pets Reunited is fully compliant with the General Data Protection Regulation, also known as the GDPR.
Pets Reunited is registered as a data controller with the ICO.
We hope the following sections will answer any questions you have but if not, please do get in touch with us.
When you are using the Pets Reunited website, PetsReunited.com Limited is the data controller.
PetsReunited.com Limited is a limited company with the number 06838438.
The company was previously known as Animal Finders Ltd from the 5th March 2009 until 15th June 2017.
Our trading address is:
Our registered office address is:
We are registered with the Information Commissioner's Office as a data controller. Our registration reference is: ZA329477.
For simplicity throughout this policy, ‘we’ and ‘us’ means PetsReunited.com Limited.
The law on data protection sets out a number of different reasons for which a company may collect and process your personal data, including:
In specific situations, we can collect and process your data with your consent.
For example, when you consent to receiving our PetWatch alert emails - we collect your email address and your postcode.
In certain circumstances, we need your personal data to comply with our contractual obligations.
For example, when you list and lost or found pet on our website, we'll collect some personal details in order to provide our services to you.
If the law requires us to, we may need to collect and process your data.
For example, we can pass on details of people involved in fraud or other criminal activity to law enforcement .
In specific situations, we require your data to pursue our legitimate interests in a way which might reasonably be expected as part of running our business and which does not materially impact your rights, freedom or interests.
For example, we may use your activity history on our website to send you or make available personalised offers.
We collect your personal data when:
- When you visit our website, use your account to buy products and services, or redeem vouchers.
- When you create an account with us
- When you contact us by any means with queries, complaints etc.
- When you register for an account with us we collect:
Your name, your chosen username, email address, postcode and other preferences (such as which town or city you are in or closest to). For your security, we’ll also keep an encrypted record of your login password.
- If you register using a third party provider (we support Facebook, Google, Twitter and Instagram logins), we will also store your unique account ID given to us by the third party provider and your profile photo (if one is available). We are never given your password by a third party provider.
- When you subscribe our PetWatch Alerts we collect your email address and your postcode.
- When you create a report for a lost or found pet, as well as gathering information about the pet, we may also ask you for your phone number and ask you to mark on a map where the pet was lost or found. We store this information as latitude and longitude along with address information we gather from Google for that location. In some cases, this might indicate on a map exactly where you live.
Some personal information you give us may be shared publicly on our website
Please see the section called "Who do we share your personal data with?" below.
- Details of your visits to our website, and which site you came from to ours.
- Personal details which help us to recommend items of interest.
- To deliver the best possible web experience, we collect technical information about your internet connection and browser as well as the country and telephone code where your computer is located, the web pages viewed during your visit and the advertisements you clicked on.
- We may also store information about your interactions with emails we send you, such as if and when you open an email and if and when you click a link in that email.
- Payment card information
- Your comments on lost and found reports
- To provide our services to you and process your orders
- To process payments and to prevent fraudulent transactions. We do this on the basis of our legitimate business interests.
- With your consent, we will use your personal data to send you email alerts of lost and found pets according to your preferences.
- To respond to your queries, refund requests and complaints. Handling the information you sent enables us to respond. We may also keep a record of these to inform any future communication with us and to demonstrate how we communicated with you throughout. We do this on the basis of our contractual obligations to you, our legal obligations and our legitimate interests in providing you with the best service and understanding how we can improve our service based on your experience.
- To develop, test and improve the systems, services and products we provide to you. We’ll do this on the basis of our legitimate business interests.
- To comply with our contractual or legal obligations to share data with law enforcement.
We treat your data with the utmost care and take all appropriate steps to protect it.
We secure access all areas of our websites using ‘https’ technology.
Access to your personal data is password-protected, and sensitive data (such as payment card information) is processed externally by a trusted third party and is secured and tokenised to ensure it is protected.
If you have an active report on our website (and in order to provide our services to you), we will retain your personal data for the duration that your report remains active.
In other circumstances we will retain personal data for a rention period of 3 years from:
- The time that you close off all lost and found reports you have listed on our website
- The time you last logged in to your account on our website
- The time you last interacted (we define interaction and opening the email or clicking on any links in the email) any PetWatch alert emails you may receive from us. You can instantly unsubscribe from our PetWatch alerts at any time.
If there's been a financial transaction between us, will will keep your details for a retention period of 7 years in order to comply with the law.
At the end of the retention period, your data will either be deleted completely or anonymised, for example by aggregation with other data so that it can be used in a non-identifiable way for statistical analysis and business planning.
You can request that we delete your data at any time. Please see the section named 'What are your rights over your personal data?' below.
We will sometimes share your personal data with trusted third parties. We currently use the following companies, who may process your some of your personal data as part of the services they provide to us:
Some data you provide may be shared publicly when you list a lost or found pet on our website. Specifically this could be:
- The phone number you provide for people to contact you
- Your username
- Your profile photo
- The location that you give for where the pet was lost or found.
Additionally, if you post a comment on any report, your username will be visible alongside your comment.
Sometimes we will need to share your personal data with third parties and suppliers outside the European Union, such as the USA.
For example, this might be required in order to process your payment details or provide support services to you.
If we do this, we have procedures in place to ensure your data receives the same protection as if it were being processed inside the EU. Any transfer of data to USA is protected by the EU-US Privacy Shield.
You have the right to request:
- Access to the personal data we hold about you, free of charge in most cases.
- The correction of your personal data when incorrect, out of date or incomplete.
- The deletion of the data we hold about you, in specific circumstances; for example, when you withdraw consent or object, and we have no legitimate overriding interest, or once the purpose for which we hold the data has come to an end.
- A computer file in a common format (CSV or similar) containing the personal data that we hold about you.
- That we stop processing your personal data, in specific circumstances; for example, when you have withdrawn consent, or object for reasons related to your individual circumstances.
- That we stop using your personal data for direct marketing.
- That we stop any consent-based processing of your personal data after you withdraw that consent.
- You can contact us to request to exercise these rights at any time by sending your request via email to moc.detinuerstep@opd.
To opt out of direct marketing messages (including our PetWatch Alerts) from us you can
- Click the ‘unsubscribe’ link in any email communication that we send you.
- If you have an account, log in into your account, visit the ‘My Details’ area and change your preferences.
If you feel that your data has not been handled correctly, in the first instance - please contact us (see 'Further Questions"'section below).
If you are unhappy with our response to any requests you have made to us regarding the use of your personal data, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office.
You can contact them by calling 0303 123 1113.
Or go online to www.ico.org.uk/concerns
If you have any questions that haven’t been covered above, please contact us:
- Email us at moc.detinuerstep@opd
- Or write to us at Protection Officer, PetsReunited.com Limited, Redhill Chambers, High Street, Redhill, RH1 1RJ